Sunday, March 8, 2015

Why Oh White



Summer is just around the corner, not to mention the events that come along with it. Now imagine yourself in a beach party and someone swims wearing pajamas; totally uncool and inappropriate. The invite specifically says “beach party” and yet some people still come unprepared.

This scene is no different than those that come to our Church here in Taguig. Maria Reyna ng mga Apostol Parish is uniquely autonomous in a way that it seeks to encourage its parishioners to wear white (dominated) attire during service. Though it is not a crime not to wear white, it certainly makes the unfortunate wearer a flashing target to lurking assassins. I still recall myself getting uneventfully shot when I was still new here in the community. Luckily, there are few others like me. Haha!

Good thing I discovered I still have some old white clothes! So for the past 2 years, I alternately use my three white-ish shirts during service! It’s brilliant! (I just hope no one gets to the conclusion of seeing the purity of ones soul in the whiteness of his or her clothing) I know, it’s not as white as snow but I would rather wear these than risk being excommunicated! Just kidding!  

Sadly after 2 years now, some people still stand out from the crowd. I am not sure if they are new comers or could be affected by Alzheimer's disease like me (I mean, the previous me). Perhaps, they are just unfortunate enough not to own a white shirt or just playing lazy to look for it in their closet. (sigh..)

Wearing white goes beyond parish rules. For me it’s a symbol of being one - of being part of a community, a sense of belongingness and unity. I learned to like this practice eventually. It has taught me how to be simple. Also, I no longer waste time choosing what to wear every Sunday. On some occasions though, those wearing colorful and lavish clothing still do distract me. Wearing white may have its benefits. Maybe part of it is to easily spot someone new in the congregation. But to those who have a choice yet still do not wear white, I just pray they find it in them how to be humbled and find beauty in simplicity. I know there is no written rule in the Catholic Church to strictly wear white, but for the spirit of oneness in our little community, I don't think it’s too much to ask.


Today is superbly special! I will be wearing my new white shirt! Yes, it's my first time to buy a shirt for this occasion. It’s not much. Really! Also, I still don't have plans in giving up my old "tanned" shirts though. They still look very decent! I highly appreciate their “unweathered” service thus extending their use for another two years. :-) (Who knows, maybe I might use one going to the beach this summer). 


Cheers!
Jimble



1 comment:

  1. This might be a minor issue for those who can afford, but too much to ask I may say for those priority is to have a meal per day and go to church for thanksgiving. Good thing they still let non-whiters get inside the church :)

    ReplyDelete